USI Payroll Find Us On Facebook  Find Us On Facebook
Payroll & HR Packages »
Request for Proposal »
Contact Us »
You did not go into business to be a human resource professional. Fortunately for you, we did!

Social Security Requirements for Employee Name Changes

September 29, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Social Security Requirements for Employee Name Changes

It is critical for each employee’s name and Social Security Number (SSN)–as shown on his or her Social Security card–to match employers’ payroll records and year-end Forms W-2, as the earnings information from the Form W-2 is the basis for determining an employee’s future eligibility and benefit amount for certain Social Security programs. But what should employers and employees do when an employee changes his or her name?

If an employee legally changes his or her name because of marriage, divorce, court order or any other reason, employers should continue to use the old name and tell the employee to contact Social Security to obtain an updated card. Employers should change their payroll records only after the employee obtains an updated Social Security card with the new name. Using a new name before the employee updates Social Security’s records may prevent the posting of earnings to the employee’s earnings history.

Employers can use Social Security’s free Social Security Number Verification Service (SSNVS) to match employees’ names and SSNs at the time they are hired, or before the employer prepares and submits employees’ Forms W-2.

Employees must take the following three steps in order to obtain a corrected Social Security card:

  1. Show the required documents, including proof of identity. See Learn What Documents You Need for more information. (Under the heading “Type of Card,” select “Corrected” for a list of the documents needed);
  2. Fill out and print an Application for a Social Security Card; and
  3. Take or mail the application and documents to a local Social Security office.

An employee cannot apply for a card online. There is no charge for a Social Security card–this service is free. For complete instructions, please click here.



Article Provided by HR360

Categories: Payroll Administration.